Monday, October 1, 2012

Study Strategies

Studying with a group of people is probably the best way to study, as long as you don't get distracted.I plan on spending about 30 minutes a day with a couple of my friends on Skype to review the words. Mainly so I can make sure my definitions are right or at least figure out which ones I have to ask about in class or on the blog. It also helps to have other people to keep me on track. 

 Outside of a study group just printing out the list of words and studying them works well for me. I know flash cards are really good as well but they take a lot more work  to do, when you'r trying to review a lot being able to just look a line lower or look at the definition to the right helps save time and lastly having 121 flash cards is a lot less convenient than just having a few folded up pieces of paper with all the words on them.

 I find that reading the words and definitions out lowed helps me remember better and I pay more attention to what I'm doing. It's also a bit harder to get distracted.  I don't know if this will work for you but I walk a lot while I'm studying. For some reason it helps me. 

Just like the idea of having 5 small meals a day, studying more than once a day for about 10 minutes works better than studying for everything late at night. By then I'm usually tired before I've even started (yet I still procrastinate) so my ability to concentrate through a long period of time is greatly diminished. 

I want to go through 2 lists a day so I have about half a day left over to go through all of them again. 

6 comments:

  1. My study technique is exactly the same. What are the odds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...as long as you don't get distracted." Ha, yeah right. Judging from today's "study group" I'm thinking we might need to reevaluate this strategy. Jokes aside, it's a good plan if everybody stays on task. Personally, studying in small segments doesn't work well for me. I would rather sit down for an hour or two and get through the entire list, then revisit it later. I tend to forget things quickly if I haven't spent a decent amount of time studying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ok I know I know but the idea works but it depends on us (mostly me) to execute it right. I see what you mean maybe 10 minutes is a little low for studying but the point is not to study all the words at once so you only have to remember a few at a time but every one works differently.

      Delete
  3. On another note, haha, it's a really good idea to have all your posts the same size and open up when you want to read more because it gives the blog a uniformity that might be missing from mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I had the most fun designing the blog :).

      Delete