Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Notes on Hamlet

I'm actually interested in the play. Isn't that weird?

It's still hard for me to actually understand the play in Old English  but it's getting easier. I do my best to read the play and then I go online and read detailed summaries to fill in the blanks. Once I started understanding the play more and reading about its allusions, it got a lot more interesting and fun to read.
The characters make a lot more sense to me now and I understand them pretty well at this point. I didn't realize how dynamic and almost contradicting Hamlet is of a character. I didn't think about this before but Hamlet doesn't have that much of a motive to kill Claudius. Hamlet's relationship with his father is never really established and his obsession with his mothers sex life is very weird. 
I never really though Shakespeare had a sense of humor but when u look at characters like Polonius and the way Hamlet talks to Ophelia (put my head in your lap) you see he's quite funny. I also never thought Claudius was really good at anything but he's actually a very good King and a charming public speaker. 
I know most of the plot already from summaries so I can't really "predict" what will happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment