Sunday, January 13, 2013

AP Prep Post 1

I had trouble finding my own questions but I was able to find my other class mates blogs while looking for questions.
These questions come from my other class mates (but the answers are my own). 

1. Siddhartha features substantial activity and narrative action. At the same, time it is about one man's largely internal spiritual quest. What is the relationship between the internal and exterior worlds of Siddhartha? How does Siddhartha negotiate these worlds?

Not having read the book I have limited knowledge on his "spiritual quest". However in the short passage I have Siddhartha uses the snake as a potential stumbling block on his journey  This snake does not exist in the real world but it represents real world troubles. If he can recognize this kind of internal struggle before it happens in real life he can prevent a series of troubles.

2. What purpose does self-denial serve in Siddhartha? What about self-indulgence?

If I had read the book I would have to describe Siddhartha's acts of "self-denial" and explain his inner thoughts. These thoughts would explain the reasoning behind these acts and what he hopes to accomplish with these acts. I would use the same model for the second part of this question. 

3. Siddhartha and Buddha both eventually attain Nirvana. However, the way that each achieves it is different. Explain the difference, relating this to the reason for Siddhartha's not following the Buddha.

I would have to describe how each character in question went about their journey towards Nirvana in a different way. Explaining how each character's inner thoughts influenced their actions and then showing how these thoughts caused Siddhartha to avoid Buddha's way of journey.

4. How does enlightenment relate to or have to do with knowledge?

Enlightenment is often achieved when one has discovered a new form of knowledge that wasn't previously present or understood. Once one has received this knowledge it is impossible to go back to the old way of living. Enlightenment also requires effort to achieve and this effort is in the form of the pursuit of knowledge. 

5. Siddhartha loved his son so much that he wanted to "keep him from suffering, pain, and disappointment.' In  the process Siddhartha makes himself and his son miserable. Why wasn't this working?

I can only base my answer off the knowledge of my own life not of the book (not having read it). A man that tries to make a life for his son that is without trouble he is doomed to fail. Such a life is impossible to accomplish and a bad one at that (if accomplished even). Trouble is where we learn how to become better people but if this kind of character growth doesn't happen (because the son hasn't had the opportunity to) when something goes wrong the consequences are far worse than they would have been if the child had been properly prepared. 

All these questions show me how much more practice I need to figure out what the question is asking and make a thesis that follows the prompt and is clearly presented at an AP level of writing skill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment